Torch Lake has been called one of the three most beautiful lakes in the world by The National Geographic Magazine. It was formed by the glaciers that carved out the terrain in our area over 11,000 years ago. Torch is very deep (sorry bouy tenders), it varies from 200 to 450 feet at different locations around the lake. The crystal clear blue water comes from springs that feed the lake.
The name Torch Lake was derived from the Ottowa Indians that used to spear whitefish at night using birch torches.
We all feel that it is a very special place.
Our Yacht Club was started in 1928 by McCutcheons, Hibbards, and the Bechtolds. From the very begining the club was organized with emphasis on two objectives. First it was to be a sailing club, secondly it was also to be a family club where everyone could come to sail and relax. The log portion of our current clubhouse was built in 1928 and still is used today. Since then there have been several additions and renovations, but we have tried to keep the spirit of the founders as well as the original log clubhouse alive.
The first sailboat races were held in 1928 in “Class C Cat Boats”. The three boats drew so much attention over the summer that by August of 1928 they were having trouble racing without curious powerboats getting in the way (some things never change). By 1931 there were 5 C boats, and 5 E boats actively racing. It was also the first year that we hosted a regatta. Nine other lakes were invited to participate, but only one boat from Orchard Lake showed up.
Over the years there have been many regattas, many sailors, and many families that have come and gone, but the sailing, camaraderie, and family feeling at the Torch Lake Yacht Club has never left.